Re: F35 Change: "Fedora Linux" in /etc/os-release

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 04:15:14PM -0500, Christopher wrote:
> This is similar to how I use "Apache" to refer to the webserver and
> "Apache Software Foundation" to refer to the organization, and how I
> use "Eclipse" to refer to the IDE software, and the "Eclipse
> Foundation" to refer to that organization.

This is a funny example, because in fact Apache would very much like you to
say "Apache httpd" rather than calling the httpd server "Apache". They've
got a whole FAQ on it http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#guide and
are pretty careful about it in their documentation and communication.

Eclipse is less explicit about this request, but I notice that on their
website they are very careful to consistently refer to "Eclipse IDE".

In short... both of these projects have the same policy I'm asking for.

Of course, the obvious response is that it hasn't stuck. That might be
partly true, but it also definitely _has_ for other people (see for example
the `httpd` package naming in our own repos), and it really does allow those
organizations to have more clear communication about everything they do,
which is my primary goal here.

> system/software stack. Nobody is ever confused when I say "Fedora" to
> refer to the operating system... but if I use it to refer to the
> Fedora project as a whole, people always get confused because they
> think I mean the operating system.

Yes, and that latter confusion is definitely a problem. It means that
activities that we, the Fedora Project engage in that are not just that
operating system always get treated as weird side cases. But we've been
doing those other things for decades, too.

> If I said "Fedora Linux", I think people would just think I'm being
> redundant, because "Fedora" implies the Linux kernel (in addition to the
> other OS components it ships with).

I don't see people being confused in this way by, say, "Arch Linux" or
"Linux Mint". I agree that it's a little weird at first, but as Ben Cotton
said, after the first hundred times or so it becomes natural.

> I'm not bothered by the name change, if people really want it... but
> it doesn't make sense to me, and won't change the fact that I will
> still refer to the operating system as simply "Fedora", because people
> already understand that and know what I mean.

That's fine. I do not intend to introduce naming police or anything.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>