Re: Package update requires modification of config file in users' home directories

On 3/9/21 1:39 PM, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
Well, the first option is still a no-no, as the fixup has to happen in
the user's home directory. For the second one, I think I'd need to add
something like "Requires: zenity", which in turn would pull in other
dependencies.

I don't believe that it's forbidden by Fedora's policy, as it would be
the wrapper making the changes, which is effectively no different from
the program itself doing it, if it had that capability.  The real
problem with this approach is the potential to mess up the user's
configuration if the wrapper encounters something that it doesn't
expect, which is why a warning message approach is probably better.

You could probably do something very lightweight with the desktop
notification service, but it isn't an area that I know a lot about.

After discussing with upstream, I am going to add a symlink for now
and they're going to take care of things programmatically in a
subsequent update.

Where are you going to add the symlink?