Re: What next?

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:15:54 +0100, Mike Hearn <mike@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:46:33 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> BTW., how does osx do installs (just bringing up the meta-file
> installer thingy again. Feel free not to answer)?

their package system, umm, err, sucks.

99.9% of users seem to disagree with you, judging by how often "Linux
should use appfolders like Macs do" is heard on various forums and mailing
lists.

MacOS X packaging works reliably for end users, 100% of the time, and
from that perspective it doesn't matter how many features it has or
doesn't have, it's better than yum/rpm/any Linux packaging system.

This is something I've thought about: how much would the shell slow down if we had a very long $PATH, so that we can give applications independent bin directories?

I love my Mac Mini but I find the 'Applications' item in the finder to be a painful way to find and run applications: I find myself using the dock very little, and I greatly prefer the 'Start' button on Windows and the imitations thereof under Unix.

A downside to giving each app a directory is that it's harder to use partitions to isolate different kind of things, an art that I've been learning over time (and particular inspired by the Solaris shop I work with that uses something much like LVM, allocate a minimal amount of space for each partition, leave a large free pool, and grow the partitions online over tine)