Re: How to build RISC-V Fedora disk image by muself

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 4:03 AM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I'm curious to know if anaconda and livemedia-creator will run in this
> > > environment. lmc wouldn't work if you were trying to build it from a
> > > different arch, but if it is running on RISC-V it should work, in
> > > theory, as long as anaconda supports it.
> >
> > Our long term aim is that Fedora/RISC-V will behave exactly as any
> > other architecture.  No special changes/workarounds should be
> > necessary.  For common things we're already there.  To try it out,
> > suggest setting up a VM as described here:
>
> I really, really, really suggest focusing on either
> anaconda/livemedia-creator or osbuild (aka composer, aka weldr). These are
> maintained by actual active teams. appliance-creator (and omg ThinCrust --
> there's a blast from the past) are at best lightly kicked down the road
> whenever serious problems develop.

We are currently running a very minimal setup for Fedora/RISCV, just
enough to build packages and produce disk images.

The goal is to get closer to the full blown Fedora infrastructure, but
that requires more human hours and hardware.

With new Linux-capable RISC-V hardware (SiFive Unmatched, Beagleboard
BeagleV, Microchip Icicle Kit, PINE64, Sipeed) hopefully that will
happen sooner than later.

It wouldn't surprise me that anaconda/livemedia-creator or osbuild
require no to minimal change to work, but someone needs to invest time
to attempt it.