Fedora 34 selinux blocking out-of-tree module loading even when secureboot is disabled???

Hi All,

While dogfooding F34 I noticed that out of tree kernel modules (1) are
now being blocked, not by the kernel's lockdown mechanism (which only
does this when secureboot is enabled) but by selinux:

audit: type=1400 audit(1613736626.937:95): avc:  denied  { integrity } for  pid=401 comm="systemd-udevd" lockdown_reason="unsigned module loading" scontext=system_u:system_r:udev_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tcontext=system_u:system_r:udev_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tclass=lockdown permissive=1

Note as you can see I've put selinux in permissive mode and that
fixes the unsigned module loading, showing that this is indeed
caused by some new selinux rules.

I must say that this seems like a bad idea, we already have the kernel
enforcing module-loading lockdown stuff, we really do not need selinux to
add extra enforcement on top of this, esp. not enforcement which seems
to circumvent the usual "disable secure boot" workaround.

I believe this is a bad idea for 2 reasons

1. Whether we like it or not sometimes our users want to use /
have a need for external kernel modules. This is incompatible with
secure-boot. Which is meh, but understandable since we should not
allow loading unsigned kernel-code when secure-boot is used and
external modules are by definition unsigned.

But now we are breaking the usual (already a bit sucky)
"disable secure-boot in your BIOS" workaround by adding another hoop
to jump through, this is IMHO a really bad idea.

2. It makes using Fedora for kernel development harder, well at least
it will make kernel developers like me just put selinux in permissive
mode (at which point I might just as well disable it)  As a frequent
dog-fooder of recent Fedora versions, while running in enforcing mode,
I'm know to regularly report selinux policy issues. This feedback will
be lost now ...

Regards,

Hans

1) Not really an out-of-tree module actually, I saw the when copying
an individual .ko file from my build-machine to the target-machine,
so without going through make modules_install and thus without it
being signed with my local signing-key. But out-of-tree modules will
hit the same issue