Re: Strategy for staying on Rawhide

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 2:41 PM Ron Olson <tachoknight@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey all-
>
> I have a VM that I want to always keep on Rawhide. That was F34 until
> this past week or so and now I want to update it track F35. Can I
> basically just follow the instructions at
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/dnf-system-upgrade/ and
> pass it —releasever=rawhide; I did this when I went from F33 to
> Rawhide, but I wasn’t sure if I could do a “rawhide” to
> “rawhide” upgrade.

"It works, except when it doesn't". There can be some fundamental
changes in the boot loader, or in the filesystems, that are not
necessarily compatible. In particular you won't get the new default
filesystems or partitioning as those evolve, and you may encounter
brutal regressive bugs in features like SELinux or PAM, or
unanticipated changes in the UID's of commonplace users as Fedora
evolves. You can also encounter incompatible package naming
conventions. And modularity, well modularity is likely to *completely*
futz up upgrades. So it's a risk, and one that is difficult to
quantify.