Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable btrfs transparent zstd compression by default (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:48 PM Tom Seewald <tseewald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > A few more things:
> >
> > *  btrfs-progs tools don't yet have a way to report  compression
> > information. While 'df' continues to report correctly about actual
> > blocks used and free, both regular 'du' (coreutils) and 'btrfs
> > filesystem du' will report uncompressed values.
>
> Are there plans for upstream to address this pretty major shortcoming in the next release of btrfs-progs? From what I can see on the btrfs wiki the user space support for compression is very rudimentary and with no real indication that it is being worked on or seen as a priority.

I know there is an intent to incorporate it, I don't know the time
frame. It probably belongs in 'btrfs filesystem du' but I'm not
certain. Since F2FS is also doing compression, it might make sense to
enhance df or du (both are coreutils).

There is a tool called compsize that will be included in default
installations, that will provide statistical information. Speaking for
myself, it's been something of a short term novelty usage that tapers
off over time. The statistics satisfy curiosity, but I've found the
curiosity wanes because it doesn't affect any decision making,
contrary to df, du, and ls. The behavior of du and ls is unchanged,
whereas the behavior of df is that the rate of free space consumption
is always the same or less compared to uncompressed. There isn't a
mechanism for a program to consider 100G of free space as 200G
accounting for compression. It's still just 100G, and compression
maybe gets you a 50-70G file for things like binaries. And for text
files it can be quite a lot. And for multimedia files you're not going
to see any compression.

--
Chris Murphy