Re: ELN SIG Launch

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> In written English the word 'or' is not exclusive and 'yes' is a synonym
> for 'TRUE'.  Basically the question is Stephen trying a CS pun with that
> of
>
> Is this a Fedora project || a Red Hat project using Fedora resources.
>
> It would evaluate as TRUE/yes in either case.

You don't have to explain boolean algebra to me, I understand that well. It
is still weaseling out of the real question based on technicalities, just as
Stephen Gallagher's announcement did.

The thing is, while in boolean algebra, "or" is inclusive by default, and in
some contexts that is also the case in English, an "or" question of the form
"Is X or Y?" is clearly meant to imply that "X xor Y" is true and to ask
which of the 2 cases "X is true and Y is false" xor "X is false and Y is
true" is true. Any other interpretation is deliberately misunderstanding the
question to avoid answering it.

> I will break it out further
>
> Is this a Fedora project? 'yes'
> Is this a Red Hat project using resources Fedora would normally use? 'yes'
>
> I can understand the want for making this an exclusive or, which I believe
> would make the answer 'No/False' because the two parts are 'true'.

The way I read this question:
* "Is this a Fedora project?" = "Is this a project by and for the Fedora
  community?"
* "Is this a Red Hat project using Fedora resources?" = "Is this a project
  by Red Hat, abusing its control of Fedora resources to leech those
  resources for its own purposes, diverting them to a non-Fedora product?"

IMHO, those two options are clearly mutually exclusive. And given that the
output is useful exclusively for RHEL, I also think it is obvious which
option is the case for ELN (the latter one).

And ELN leeching Fedora hardware infrastructure that is actually paid by Red
Hat to begin with is one thing, but Stephen Gallagher's announcement goes as
far as attempting to leech unpaid community manpower.

>> And why would I want to do Red Hat's / IBM's work for free?
>>
>> Contributing to Fedora provides value to me because I use Fedora myself.
>> In contrast, what would I gain from contributing to ELN?
>
> I expect the answer is that if you want to help it will help make RHEL a
> better product and that will increase resources available to Fedora. I
> don't think that is an answer you want, but it is what I expect the answer
> is.

To be honest, I did not expect a useful answer to those rhetorical
questions.

        Kevin Kofler