Re: Fedora 35 Change proposal: POWER 4k page size (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 13/02/2021 18:51, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 at 05:15, Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:daniel@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     On 13/02/2021 09:11, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>     > Dnia Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 10:16:26PM +0100, Daniel Pocock napisał(a):
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> On 12/02/2021 21:19, Justin Forbes wrote:
>     >>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 10:21 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>     >>>>
>     >>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Power4kPageSize
>     >>>>
>     >>>> == Summary ==
>     >>>>
>     >>>> On ppc64le, the kernel is currently compiled for 64k page size.
>     >>>>
>     >>>> This change proposes using the more common 4k page size.
>     >>>>
>     >>>> Some things, like the AMD Radeon GPU drivers, firmware or related
>     >>>> code, appear to be completely non-functional on the 64k page size.
>     >>>> Insufficient upstream developers are testing such issues on this
>     >>>> architecture.
>     >>>
>     >>> Just as there are many things that expect the 64K page size.  I
>     am not
>     >>> doing this.
>     >>>
>     >>> Justin
>     >>
>     >> Can you please identify some of the things that expect 64k?
>     >>
>     >> If the GPU drivers don't work that makes it a complete
>     non-starter for
>     >> many workstation users, or they have to compile their own kernels or
>     >> obtain custom kernels from another user.
>     >
>     >   Or just fix the GPU drivers. They're open source, after all.
>
>     The GPUs also have firmware blobs
>

> OK I think we need to back up a whole bunch here and talk directly about
> what is wanted and going on. I am going to try an outline what I have
> picked up from months of this back and forth:
>
> 1. There is some sort of PowerPC workstation which is going 'to market'
> somewhere soon.

The workstations and motherboards are already available from Raptor:
https://www.raptorcs.com/

Vikings is about to start shipping a European version:
https://store.vikings.net/openpower

Many people already bought the Blackbird kits in the first production run.

> 2. It will have high powered video cards of a PC style so will be using
> the same 'firmware' that would be in x86_64.
> 3. Those drivers expect x86_64 4k buffer sizes.

This is a moving target, new GPUs arrive each year.  It is like
whack-a-mole, by the time people have it fixed with one model, the next
model is available.

> 4. Daniel would like to have Fedora Linux as an option or the operating
> system on it.

I've been compiling kernels since the early days so I can work around
this in my personal situation.  I would like other Fedora users to have
the best possible experience and as easily as possible.

I'll let other people answer your questions below...