Re: Ars claims: Fedora 32 is sluggish

Hi,

On 2/5/21 3:03 AM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
On 2/4/21 9:52 PM, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:

considerable lag. In the last 4 or so years I remember issues with
tracker, gnome-shell, mutter/clutter and friends on specific GPUs,
default or popular shell extensions and dbus services. A recent bug

If tracker is enabled the performance drop after booting is huge.

rpm -e tracker-miners

I regularly have problems with runaway processes on fedora. Frequently the first indication of a problem are fans on a laptop running when the machine is idle. Just yesterday, clean install of F33, enabled Plasma, and korgac sat there for a few minutes at 100% until I killed it and told it never to start again. There isn't anything like a couple runaway processes to make the whole machine "sluggish".

Fedora suffers from having a lot of things starting by default that are only used by a fraction of the user base. If it were smarter about starting/installing things provided by systemd/gnome/kde/etc I suspect that not only would it utilize less resources, but there security benefits of simply not having much of this running all the time would be clearer too. To pick on a couple. iscsi and avahi, are very important for a subset of the users, but frankly i suspect they are trivial fraction of the overall userbase. But they show up in security audits (lynis) simply because systemd-analyze itself reports them as insecure.

Runaway processes are also a bit of an abrt failure in that there isn't a good automated way to report them. A package flag to the effect "this package doesn't contain anything which should consume 100% cpu for > 10 seconds" could be set on a wide range of these services to at least notify the upstream developers that there might be something wrong. Of course this would require yet another always on monitoring daemon.