Re: Status update for the new AAA system

Hi Aurelien,

Alexander Bokovoy created the feature https://github.com/SSSD/sssd/issues/5482. Once implemented you will be able to Kerberos check authentication indicators like OTP from a PAM service.

> - Also, using kinit with 2FA tokens proved to be more complex than we'd like it to
> be.

The FreeIPA and Kerberos team have been aware of the usability issue for a while.

For those how are not familiar with implementation details: Kerberos 2FA/OTP requires an existing credential cache (armor cache) to secure 2FA. SSSD enrolled systems and FreeIPA webui have ways to create an armor cache. For plain kinit a user has to perform "kinit -n -c armor.ccache" first to get a ccache for wellknown anymous user, then use that ccache to do "kinit -T armor.ccache". For technical reasons the first kinit needs the internal CA certificate of FreeIPA.

The Kerberos team is working on a simpler approach based on SPAKE, but it's not finished yet. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-kitten-krb-spake-preauth-09

> - We're trying out a more continuous approach to importing accounts, because a full
> run takes 3 days and during the migration we'll want to run the import script without
> having a 3 days downtime.

You have a couple of options to speed up migration and improve performance:

You could disable memberOf plugin during migration. According to an old benchmark it can make provisioning up to 20 times faster. You need to restart DS after you have disabled or enabled the plugin and run a memberOf task to fixup attributes, https://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Performance_Improvements#Memberof_plugin

It might be worth a shot to remove a couple of indices during migration and re-create them afterwards. This could speed up migration a bit, too.

You could a two-pass migration: First migrate all users to the new instance while the old FAS is online. Then shutdown old FAS and only migrate users entries that have changed since the initial migration. You can use the modificationTimestamp for that. Every entry in DS has a modificationTimestamp attribute. It's an operational attribute which is maintained by the server.

Do you need the compat tree or NIS? slapi-nis and compat tree require additional resources. You can disable the features with ipa-compat-manage and ipa-nis-manage commands. You need to disable them on each server separately and restart DS.

Christian