Re: Policy proposal (draft): Don't push knowingly broken or work-in-progress work to dist git

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Wednesday, 03 February 2021 at 14:29, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
>> But it means that provenpackagers who want to bump and rebuild have to
>> actually manually look at another branch (rawhide-build).
>
> No, why would they need to do that?

Because the whole point of the thread is that they need to bump and rebuild
from a state that already builds. Otherwise, why would we add the CI to
begin with?

> The question aside, they wouldn't be allowed to do that, anyway.

Surely they would be allowed to LOOK at the branch, and hopefully also to
check it out (read only), otherwise why create that branch to begin with?

> The idea is that only CI can push there once there's a successful build
> from rawhide branch.

And that is exactly what makes the whole idea worthless. Provenpackagers
need to bump the branch that actually builds and then push that to rawhide.
This only works in a useful way if the branch that actually builds IS
rawhide.

>> Plus, they will then need to revert rawhide to rawhide-build,
>
> Again, why?

Because, by definition, rawhide-build compiles and rawhide might not.

        Kevin Kofler