Re: Ars claims: Fedora 32 is sluggish

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:54 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anybody investigated Jim Salter's claims that Fedora 32 is slow to
> launch applications? Recent article:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/ubuntu-core-20-adds-secure-boot-with-hardware-backed-encryption/
>
> "in my experience, Fedora 32 is noticeably, demonstrably more sluggish
> to launch applications than Ubuntu is in general."
>
> Original article:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/05/linux-distro-review-fedora-workstation-32/
>
> Would be good to know, for starters, whether this difference is real
> and measurable.

I don't know if this helps as a data point, but until 32, Fedora
always "won" one of the bottom spots in Phronix distro comiparison
benchmarks.

However, starting with Fedora 33, at least on some hardware, we now
outperform Ubuntu 20.20, Manjaro, and even Clear Linux - at least on
average:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora-wins-tgl

Maybe I can provide some anecdata: In my experience, Ubuntu based VMs
always felt way more responsive and faster than Fedora based VMs (I
use them regularly to do QA for my Pantheon packages, since Fedora 2x
or so.) But today, cold booting a Fedora 33 or 34 VM is more than
twice as fast (~25s) compared to an Ubuntu based (elementary OS 5 /
ubuntu 18.04.x LTS) VM (~68s), and when launching Firefox after a cold
boot, Fedora 33 was almost exacty twice as fast (~25s vs. ~50s),
again. For both of those "tests", Fedora 32 was a bit slower than
either newer Fedora or elementary OS.

Even if those are not "scientific" measurements, I did not expect the
differences to be this big, but apparently, we're doing something
right. :)
Maybe switching on LTO by default did help - it was introduced with Fedora 33.

The "Fedora is slow and sluggish" review you linked specifically
mentions Fedora 32.
Apparently the author has not tried Fedora since (there's no review of
Fedora 33 on Ars Technica).
And I would be curious to see whether upgrading to Fedora 33 would
affect the result of the "launch Chromium snap" test in our favor ;)

Fabio