Re: Jami (formerly Ring) P2P softphone packaging?

On 02/02/2021 10:17, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> On 01.02.2021 19:49, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Has anybody tested the Jami softphone from Savoir-Faire Linux?  It was
>> formerly known as Ring.
>
> Electron framework is forbidden on Fedora due to ffmpeg usage and it
> cannot be built from sources without Internet access.
>
> See also: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Electron

What is the problem with ffmpeg?  I couldn't find any reference to it in
DuckDuckGo search results.

Maybe the Jami client can be built without video support, if it only
does voice and IM could that provide a way forward?

>> They distribute RPMs directly from the web site[1].  It is already[2] in
>> Debian for some time.
>
> All Fedora packages must be built from sources on Fedora Infra. No
> exceptions.

Agreed, I wasn't advocating we simply copy those, I was only pointing to
their existence.

I was able to complete the build for Debian on my own schroot build
environment, it didn't require anything that wasn't already available
through Debian.  The dependencies on Debian are subject to much the same
policy as Fedora.

Regards,

Daniel