Re: Test timeouts in Fedora Copr emulated envs

On Monday, February 1, 2021 10:32:04 AM CET Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 03:35:14PM +0100, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> > On Friday, January 29, 2021 4:26:18 PM CET Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > > When we attempt to build libvirt in Copr, the test suite times out on
> > > s390 builds.
> > >
> > > IIUC, this is because s390 in Copr is using a QEMU emulated system,
> > > not native hardware, and thus is massively slower to execute.
> > >
> > > We don't want to bump up the default test suite timeout unconditonally,
> > > as that makes it slower to diagnose problems for the common case
> > > where the build env is not emulated.
> > >
> > > Is there a good way to detect that the build is in an emulated copr
> > > env rather than native. Does Copr / mock set any env variable to
> > > show that you're emulated ?
> >
> > No explicit environment variable I think.  It would be a question on
> > qemu-user-static maintainers probably.
> >
> > You can check `uname -r` vs. `uname -i`?  Or something like that.
> >
> > > I'm thinking this is not really a libvirt specific problem - any app
> > > using Meson is liable to hit the default test suite time limit if
> > > running in an emulated chroot, and thus will need to set
> > > --timeout-multiplier=10.
> > > So perhaps RPM's %meson_test macro should automatically include
> > > --timeout-multiplier=10 when running in an emulated world ?
> >
> > I thought you mean the Copr limit (copr build --timeout) but this is
> > probably in-testsuite timetout.
>
> Yeah, I mean  making  %meson_test expand to
>
>      meson test --timeout-multiplier=10
>
> > I don't know, perhaps we could have some configurable coefficient for
> > timeout _in Copr_ for emulated architectures?  If that was say "3", and
> > the --timeout was 3600s, emulated arches would get 10800s instead?
>
> Yeah, if Copr set some coefficient, that could be used directly as the
> meson multiplier.

We don't even expose the pre-configured timeout down to rpmbuild ATM.  So for
the rpmbuild process (or even mock) it is just an unpredictable async interrupt
signal.

So indeed, it looks like a good idea to start passing the info down (e.g. as RPM
macros) so scripts like meson can adapt to the given timeout.

Pavel