Re: Fedora 34 Change: Signed RPM Contents (late System-Wide Change)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:29:55PM -0000, Patrick  マルタインアンドレアス  Uiterwijk wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Signed_RPM_Contents
> >

> I'd like to point out that after many requests, I have updated the change page for this significantly, with more details as to the goals (and non-goals) of this feature, and answers to many other questions asked.

Thanks.

> appraises (verifies) all files that are executed by root: appraise uid=1000 appraise_type=imasig

Typo in "uid=1000"? Also, executed, or read? What is "appraise_type=imasig"?

I'm asking all those basic questions because the project documentation
under https://sourceforge.net/p/linux-ima/wiki/Home/ is incredibly bad.
It seems pretty clear nobody loves it, it's full of TLAs and
formatting errors (e.g. every use of a <placeholder> is accompanied by
</placeholder> at the end of the paragraph, sic). It also doesn't explain
much except the obvious parts. It's also full of stuff like "'make
modules_install install' to install the kernel", which I don't think
we want to point our users to. (BTW the lwn article [1] linked below
is *way* more approachable the the "documentation".)

Is there any actual example of policy that makes use of this on
a Fedora-type system? I'm asking because IMA has been around for
for 15 years [1], and I think it's fair to say that it hasn't exactly
taken the Linux world over by storm. I can see how IMA can be used to
attest binaries in a custom-purpose system with a fixed and small set
of binaries, but it seems much harder in a general purpose system with
thousands of config files not distributed as rpm contents, user scripts,
generated unit files, hwdb, etc. The docs that are available online seem
to be toy examples only.

Such an example is not a requirement, we may enable this based on just
a hope that some real use will be found in the future, but it would
certainly help to have such an example when evaluating this.

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/137306/

> When I install the rpm-plugin-ima, and run "dnf reinstall *", the
> /usr directory increases by 0.002% to 1417104.

Either the measurement doesn't take xattrs into account, or maybe the
explanation is that the attributes fit in preallocated space for xattrs?
Either way, it seems that this cost is small enough and is not
a barrier to adopting this.

What about runtime costs? Is the installation with rpm-plugin-ima
slower than without?

> for example [2],

Broken link.

Zbyszek