Re: merging packages - is fedora fedora guideline right?

Thank you Elliot! Now it's clear.

On 20. 01. 21 10:02, Elliott Sales de Andrade wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 03:48, Petr Stodulka <pstodulk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi guys,
I am confused about the official guidelines for merging of packages in Fedora.
  From my POV, when I merge some packages and the functionality is preserved,
the Obsoletes and Provides should be set and kept for 2 release cycles.
So there is not problem with dependencies, etc. However, I've just realized
that regarding guidelines only Obsoletes should be set.

That link is not to the current Guidelines. The Guidelines section on
renames is here:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#renaming-or-replacing-existing-packages
and it says to add both, *unless* it is not a sufficiently compatible
replacement.

Was it changed and is it really correct? From that point, I already have
a reported broken deps for git-remote-hg because of the missing provides
after the merge of some packages - I will fix it, but I am curious whether
this is really expected. Can you guys put a light on that? Or the guideline
needs to be fixed?

Thank you!

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrade_paths_%E2%80%94_renaming_or_splitting_packages

--