Re: How to properly go from arch-specific to noarch? (Finnish spell-checking)

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 7:58 AM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 09:43, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> >
> > Dne 17. 01. 21 v 11:12 Ville-Pekka Vainio napsal(a):
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am working on updating the Finnish spell-checking stack to the
> > > current upstream versions.
> > >
> > > Currently Fedora has the malaga-suomi-voikko package, which is
> > > arch-specific. For example, my own system has
> > > malaga-suomi-voikko-1.19-12.fc33.x86_64 installed. In upstream, the
> > > successor of this package is called voikko-fi and according to the
> > > upstream developers the data files are not arch-specific anymore.
> > >
> > > My WIP spec file is at https://vpv.fedorapeople.org/packages/voikko-fi.spec
> > >
> > > How should I handle Obsoletes and possibly Provides in this case? Do I
> > > just do Obsoletes: malaga-suomi-voikko < 1.19-13 and that's it?
> >

> > Do you really need any explicit Obsoletes or Provides if you go with
> > `BuildArch:noarch` as Zbyszek already pointed out?
>
> Yes. Otherwise you won't be able to upgrade between archful and noarch
> (and vice-versa) without forcing it.

Been there, done that. It's not a process entirely controlled by the
packager: when the upstream module author elects to add, or discard,
compiled code as part of the module, both the name of the RPM and the
location of the built software can change based on architecture.