Re: Fedora 34 Mass Rebuild

On 17/01/2021 23:10, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 01:19:34AM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>

>> On 15/01/2021 20:31, Mohan Boddu wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Per the Fedora 34 schedule[1] we will start a mass rebuild for Fedora 34
>>> on Jan 20th 2021. We will run a mass rebuild for Fedora 34 for the
>>> changes listed in:
>>>
>>> https://pagure.io/releng/issues?status=Open&tags=mass+rebuild
>>

>> The ppc64le 4k page size is listed there, do you need any pull request
>> from me to adapt the ppc64le kernel config or anything else or it is
>> already in hand?
>>
>> Feel free to reply here or through the Pagure issue
>
> Well, given that it's not yet discussed and approved by fesco, and that
> it needs builders to be running the changed kernel, I do now think this
> is likely to get in this mass rebuild.
>
> We need a f33 kernel for the builders, and time to update them to it
> before the mass rebuild and shake out any issues.
>
> So I think this should be retargeted for f35.

Thanks for the feedback.  I understand that is the normal way to proceed
at this point in the schedule.  It doesn't really impact me a lot
personally as I build my own kernels anyway.

Given there are not so many users on this architecture, is it feasible
to take a more do-or-die approach, to try and put that f33 kernel in
there and if it doesn't come together, f34 is simply released without
any ppc64le?

The upside is that if it does work, all those new GPUs will be working,
plug and play.  I'm talking about all the new RX 6800 cards and also the
previous generation, RX 5700 and friends.

If f34 is status quo, 64k kernel, people have to either:

a) use a GPU that is much older now, like Radeon RX580 Polaris, or

b) compile a kernel with 4k, or

c) download a kernel with 4k from somebody

I don't mind too much whether it is f34 or f35 and I understand you
probably have higher priority things to do at this point in the release
cycle.

Regards,

Daniel