Re: Proposal for packaging: Gemato

Le 1/17/21 à 10:02 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim a écrit :
Salut Frédéric,

Salut Michel,

Thank you for your answer.

On Sun, 2021-01-17 at 10:42 +0100, Frédéric Pierret wrote:
Hi,

Before going into the official steps, I would like to have some
feedback if some of you would be interested in having Gemato (
https://github.com/mgorny/gemato) packaged. This is a tool that
Gentoo uses for managing Manifest files and for verifying the
integrity and authenticity of the Gentoo ebuild repository. At first
for Fedora side, this is useful for some of you like me who work on
Gentoo packaging but also, among others, it provides (
https://github.com/mgorny/gemato/blob/master/gemato/openpgp.py) very
nice python module for GPG verification. For example, you can import
only this GPG module to rely on for all your GPG verifications in
other projects. The author of Gemato is very active and security
focused especially for GPG stuff.

I think it's fine to have tools meant to work on other distributions -
we want users who have to manage or work with different distributions
to be able to do as much of their work on Fedora, after all.

Good to hear that. Indeed, Fedora is a very practical distribution to work on others.

 From a quick search, Debian's dpkg and apt are packaged:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/dpkg
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/apt

If the GPG module is usable more broadly, would it be possible to
package it as a standalone subpackage (that the main gemato package
then requires)? That would allow those who want to use it in other
contexts to not have to pull in the irrelevant parts.

Unfortunately, from the current shape it's not possible even if the author
would consider it if it starts growing that much.

I've notified him about this and he is very happy about this
perspective.

Always great when upstream is supportive!

Best regards,

In this case, I'll do the packaging and a send a review request soon.

Best regards,
Frédéric