Re: Fedora 34 Change: Remove Python2 RPM Macros (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On 15. 01. 21 22:49, Neal Gompa wrote:
I would really rather not have this happen until we're going to retire
Python 2 entirely. The Python 2 macros are already separate from the
Python 3 ones, so we could just leave them alone until we're ready to
just remove Python 2 entirely.

My point here is that I want to keep Python 2 much longer (for developers who unfortunately still need to support it, e.g. for RHEL 7) than I'd like to keep allowing packages to buiid with it.

Similarly there are no macros for Python 3.5 or 3.7 in Fedora, but the Pythons are available.

I'd also like to stop worrying about compatibility of the Python RPM generators with Python 2 packages (it gets extremely hard to test, as the real word scenarios in Fedora are currently almost non-existent).

Moving the Python 2 macro files (and the python2-rpm-macros package)
from the python-rpm-macros package to the python27 package would also
simplify this eventual retirement.

That might be the way if the proposal is rejected (or reduced to generators only), I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

On 15. 01. 21 22:59, Igor Raits wrote:
> Fully agree here, unless we are really going to drop python2 stuff completely
> from distribution.

We are really removing the Python 2 "stuff" (except for the interpreter itself) from the distribution, slowly but steadily. This change does not in general impact packages that happen to need Python 2 to build only, it only impacts a dozen of "Python 2 packages".

--
Miro Hrončok