Re: Fedora 34 Change: Unify the GRUB configuration files location across all supported architectures (System-Wide Change proposal)

Once upon a time, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> The issue with journaled file systems is that GRUB's file system
> drivers have no ability to do journal replay. Therefore there is a
> small risk the file system is rendered unbootable in a crash, because
> the bootloader only sees the no-replay state of the file system used
> for /boot. e.g. the bootloader can see grub.cfg, bls snippets, or even
> the kernel as either missing or as 0 length files, until the journal
> has been replayed. Small risk, big penalty. My suggestion for
> mitigation is to use FAT for /boot in simple cases, and Btrfs in less
> simple cases. It's just an idea, it's not urgent, but if things are
> being reconsidered for simplification anyway, this makes sense to me.

I've been bitten by that issue before.  I would probably avoid FAT for a
couple of reasons: no ownership/permissions, and could get stepped on in
dual-boot setups by Windows.  I'd go with one of the Linux
non-journaling filesystems, like good ol' ext2.  With few writes, it
should always be in a "safe" state.

Ideally, it could be left mounted read-only and only remounted RW during
updates (and then back to RO to make sure everything is flushed);
although I guess doing that would generally cover the journaled FSes as
well.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>