Re: Fedora 34 Change: Remove Guile Support From Toolchain (Self-Contained Change)

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 3:57 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RemoveGuileFromToolchain
>

> == Summary ==
> Remove Guile support from GDB and GNU Make packages.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:keiths| Keith Seitz]]
> * Email: keiths@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> GDB and Make packages currently contain Guile scripting support which
> allows users to implement
> (possibly new) functionality in these tools. This change request
> proposes to remove that support from
> the these tools, since both provide alternatives without the burden of
> additional dependencies.
>

> == Benefit to Fedora ==
>
> While GDB supplies a "minimal" package which disables all
> non-essential features for use in
> the buildroot, Make has no equivalent, and is always compiled with
> Guile support. This
> requires that the buildroot contains Guile. This proposal will help
> shrink the buildroot.
>
> Furthermore, GDB already supports a much more widely tested and
> feature-rich Python interface,
> and maintainers would like to remove the maintenance burden imposed by
> supporting multiple
> scripting interfaces.
>

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners: Update gdb/make spec files.
> * Other developers: Update Make/GDB scripting files if using Guile. No
> such users expected.
> * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>

> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> Users with GDB and/or Make Guile scripts will need to update and/or
> rewrite their scripts.
>

> == How To Test ==
> GDB: There is nothing to test. If you are using Guile scripts, you
> should rewrite with Python.
>
> Make: Rebuild packages if it is unknown whether they contain Guile
> scripts; otherwise, there
> is nothing to test.
>

> == User Experience ==
> Guile scripts that extend the functionality of GDB or Make will stop
> working when users upgrade
> these packages. GDB users are encouraged to use GDB's Python interface
> instead. Users of Guile
> in Makefiles should either use shell scripting or GNU Make's built-in
> language or migrate to
> another build tool with different scripting capabilities (such as
> CMake or Meson).
>
> == Dependencies ==
> N/A (not a System Wide Change)
>
> == Contingency Plan ==
> * Contingency mechanism: Revert changes and restore GDB/Make support for Guile.
> * Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> * Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change
>
> == Documentation ==
> N/A (not a System Wide Change)
>
> == Release Notes ==
> Release notes should mention the removal of Guile support in GDB/Make
> and suggest alternatives.

This is probably a bad idea, since that deliberately breaks things for
things that expect it to be there. If we *really* want to get rid of
this (and I'm not entirely convinced we should), why not just make an
alternative build subpackage and make the two conflict? One with Guile
support and one without? Then if something needs Guile integration for
Make, for example, they can install "make-guile" instead of "make".

Also "shrink the buildroot" for Make isn't a good enough reason to do
this, since we don't even include Make in the buildroot by default
anymore[1].

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Remove_make_from_BuildRoot