Re: Fedora 34 Change: Unify the GRUB configuration files location across all supported architectures (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 02:53:00PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:

[snip]

> The proposal is to always store the `grub.cfg` and `grubenv` files in
> the `/boot/grub2/` directory, making `/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg`
> to only be a small configuration file that sets a different `$prefix`
> variable and loads the configuration file stored in
> `/boot/grub2/grub.cfg`.
>
> The `$prefix` variable will be set to the device partition where
> `/boot/grub2/grub.cfg` is stored, using the partition filesystem's
> Universally Unique IDentifier (UUID). That way the correct GRUB
> configuration file will be loaded, making it as secure as the current
> approach where the configuration file in the ESP is used.

I don't see how adding more files and splitting information between
them helps simplify things. You still need a system specific grub.cfg in
the EFI directory so you haven't removed anything.

And now users who are trying to debug things have more places to look
for problems.

If you want a consistent way to find the grub.cfg on bios and efi, why not
create a symlink in /boot/grub2/ like we already do for grubenv?
Actually, we already have symlinks in /etc/grub2.cfg and
/etc/grub2-efi.cfg

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart