Re: Fedora 34 Change: Signed RPM Contents (late System-Wide Change)

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 01:27:40AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Ben Cotton wrote:
> > == Summary ==
> > We want to add signatures to individual files that are part of shipped
> > RPMs. These signatures will use the Linux IMA (Integrity Measurement
> > Architecture) scheme, which means they can be used to enforce runtime
> > policies to ensure execution of only trusted files.

In more mundane words: a signature will be shipped in the rpm for each file
separately? And what will be done with this signature on the destination
machine: will it be kept in the rpms database or something more?

What is the overhead on packed rpm size, rpm database, on-disk installation?

Can we description be made clearer in what is changed in rpms and how IMA
is consuming those changes on the installation machine?

> > == Owner ==
> > * Name: [[User:Puiterwijk| Patrick Uiterwijk]]
> > * Email: puiterwijk@xxxxxxxxxx
> > * Name: [[User:Pbrobinson| Peter Robinson]]
> > * Email: pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx
>
> I am opposed to this Change, because it increases the file size of all RPMs
> and the size of the RPM database (and hence, of all installed systems,
> including, but not limited to, the live images) to implement what basically
> amounts to "Treacherous Computing"
> [ https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.en.html ].
>
> Neither do I consider it acceptable to ban execution of non-centrally-signed
> binaries,
I don't think we should forbid opt-in verification, no matter if
centrally managed or not. It's not 1995 and people have fleets of machines
that are centrally managed...

> nor do I consider it acceptable to bloat all our packages with
> per-file signatures that are ultimately redundant with the package
> signatures that already guarantee the integrity of all files in the package.
... but that is a good question. The "Benefit to Fedora" to Fedora doesn't
actually explain why those signatures are better than the ones we already have.

Zbyszek