Re: NTP change (was Re: Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2021-01-06))

On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 08:30:39AM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > #2517 F34 Change: ntp replacement
> > https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2517
> > APPROVED (+5, 0, 0)
>
> I changed my stratum 1 server from ntpd to chronyd+ntp-refclock... had a
> few small bumps to figure out (getting the NTP, PPS, and chrony services
> correct), but it is working.

If the bumps were due to insufficient documentation (e.g. the
ntp-refclock man page), would you have any suggestions on how to
improve it, or submit a patch?

> It might be useful for others to document how I have it working - where
> would be a good place for that?  Submit a README example or something?

Is it meant to be a description of an alternative to switching to
ntpsec wrt to the ntp retirement? Fedora-specific information can be
included in the package's documentation, but I'm not sure how many
people will look for that. Generally applicable information would be
best upstream.

If you didn't use gpsd because you hit a bug there, it would be nice
to send a bugreport upstream. A debug output (-D 9 option) might be
enough to get it fixed.

--
Miroslav Lichvar