Re: Fedora 34 Change: Unify the GRUB configuration files location across all supported architectures (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 06:28:22PM +0800, Qiyu Yan wrote:
> Vitaly Zaitsev via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> 于2020年12月31日周四 下午6:12写道:
> >
> > On 30.12.2020 20:53, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > This change makes the GRUB configuration files layout to be consistent
> > > across all the supported architectures. Currently EFI is a special
> > > case since the GRUB configuration file and environment variables block
> > > are stored in the EFI System Partition (ESP) instead of the boot
> > > partition (or `/boot` directory if no boot partition is used).
> >
> > Why not switch from the ancient GRUB2 to the modern systemd-boot?
> iirc systemd-boot don't support legacy BIOS system.

You can install systemd-boot and grub2-pc side-by-side,
sharing the bls boot configuration, and have a system
bootable in both uefi and bios mode.

We don't have systemd-boot on !x86 though.  aarch64 didn't work last
time I tried.  armhfp seems to not be supported (at least the fedora
rpm hasn't binaries).  s390x and ppc are not efi platforms.

So if we want cross-platform consistency grub2 is the best option we
have.  The config file is ugly, but thanks to bls you can largely
ignore that now.  No need to touch it for kernel updates etc.

take care,
  Gerd