Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable systemd-oomd by default for all variants (System-Wide Change)

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:28:45AM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> For memory pressure configuration, this will be
> ManagedOOMMemoryPressure=kill and ManagedOOMMemoryPressureLimit=4% on
> user@.service to have systemd-oomd send SIGKILLs to all processes
> under a selected cgroup when total memory pressure on all tasks
> exceeds 4% for 10 seconds.
>
> For swap based actions, systemd-oomd will monitor the system-wide swap
> space and act when available swap falls below the configured
> threshold, starting with the cgroups with the highest swap usage to
> the least. Keeping some amount of swap (if enabled) available will
> prevent the kernel OOM killer from killing processes unpredictably and
> spending an unbounded amount of time afterwards.
>
> For swap configuration, this will be SwapUsedLimitPercent=90% in
> oomd.conf and ManagedOOMSwap=kill on -.slice (root cgroup slice) to
> have systemd-oomd send SIGKILLs to all processes under a cgroup when
> swap used exceeds 90%.

One implementation approach would be to put the relevant config
in dropins (outside of the main config file), and to package them into
a separate rpm, e.g. systemd-oomd-defaults, similarly to what was done
with zram-generator-defaults.

Dropins are easier to override, and it's easy to opt-in/opt-out of the
config when that config is installable separately from the implementation.

--

Replying to the discussion in other threads, I think it makes a lot
of sense to deploy this in F34. Right now oomd works, but we don't have

--

Replying to the discussion in other threads, I think it's clear that
many people will need/want to opt-out. (For example it would be great if

I'm not sure how to make the opt-in/opt-out decision. Per-variant/spin/whatever
is not granular enough, because different DE and different payloads
that cut across variants need different handling. I think gnome-workstation
and the kde spins would gain most from this, so maybe could pull in
systemd-oomd-defaults from @gnome-desktop-environment and @kde-desktop-environment
groups?

Zbyszek