Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable systemd-oomd by default for all variants (System-Wide Change)

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 3:42 PM Tom Seewald <tseewald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This is intended to be a generic approach to user space oom
> > management, but it does tie into resource control too. And the
> > resource control organization of what processes are considered
> > critical are different between a desktop and a server. The idea of
> > "user wants to take control or see what's going on" is a generally
> > important goal for all of this work, regardless of the Fedora edition
> > or spin.
>
> So are you confirming that users are now going to need to place things in their own cgroup if they do not want systemd-oomd to potentially kill the single cgroup containing all of their running applications?

I'm not saying that. I don't mind user configuration for special
cases, but that is not a general solution. Today earlyoom will SIGTERM
a specific Firefox process, i.e. a tab can be clobbered and it just
looks like it crashed, there's no other notification. It doesn't kill
off the whole program with all of your tabs.

But if it's true that all of my programs in the shell could be subject
to being clobbered at once? Is that any better than just hitting the
power button or pulling the power cable? The answer is, yes. But only
incrementally. And it's not better than what we have today with
earlyoom.

Also, sd-oomd should be able to send SIGTERM so that there is a chance
that process can save state before a SIGKILL is issued. Earlyoom also
does that today.

> I think this should at the very least be clearly documented in the change proposal, as this user experience is in stark contrast to what Gnome and KDE users will encounter.

Yeah I'm not sure to what degree these knobs are even user facing. If
we're talking about developers and packagers, then yes there should be
documentation for them if there's things they need to consider.

--
Chris Murphy