Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable systemd-oomd by default for all variants (System-Wide Change)

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 12:59 PM Davide Cavalca via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-12-21 at 10:57 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:28 am, Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> > >
> > > Existing systems running earlyoom will not be modified. One can
> > > transition to systemd-oomd via:
> > >
> > > <pre>sudo systemctl disable --now earlyoom
> > > sudo systemctl enable --now systemd-oomd</pre>
> > > Systems that were previously not running earlyoom will have
> > > systemd-oomd enabled by default.
> >
> > I suggest we enable systemd-oomd for everyone on upgrade, to follow
> > our
> > design goal of ensuring upgraded systems match fresh installs as
> > closely as practical.
>
> We had thought about that, but one concern was migrating custom
> configuration that one might have for earlyoom, which could be tricky.
> If we're ok with unconditionally migrating to oomd with its default
> config, that should be pretty straightforward to do.

I think I'd rather unconditionally just move everything to oomd. It's
easier to focus on shoring up the experience with oomd than to worry
about earlyoom vs oomd experiences forever.