Re: Fedora 34 Change: Enable spec file preprocessing (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 21. 12. 20 2:38, clime wrote:
On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 11:39, Miro Hrončok<mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 12/20/20 1:38 AM, clime wrote:
I view this proposal as a risk that the spec files will look a bit more
weird, and the spec files maintenance will start diverging too much.
Everything happening for an overestimated triviality as IMO
the release/changelog is [1].
Well, even if this change is accepted, it doesn't mean people will use
the feature so if the feature is overkill or it is generally bad, it
will just die on its own.
No. In fact, even if one maintainer keep using this (e.g. you), as a
provenpackager I still need to be able to deal with that. So, while this is
"opt-in only" for the individual packagers, it impacts all our provenackagers
(and some of our downstreams as well).
In some cases, the effect of this change on the work of
ProvenPackagers will be positive. Manual release bumping (because of
soname-bump or a hotfix change) is easier because you can just call
`fedpkg tag` and write a message instead of manually messing with a
spec file. And in case a script is used, then it's exactly the same
amount of work (calling the script).

It is not easier, because you need to special case it in all scripts *and* manual work.

--
Miro Hrončok