Re: koji buildsystem changes

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:55:48 PM CET Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 10:40:24AM +0100, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 13, 2020 11:02:53 PM CET Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > > * Finally releng is looking at establishing a sidetag cleanup policy.
> > > A reminder that sidetags should be short lived and only created when
> > > needed. koji must generate buildroot repos for every single sidetag.
> > > ( You can list all your sidetags with 'fedpkg list-side-tags --mine' )
> >
> > I'm just curious what's the most expensive thing for Koji to implement
> > side-tags, I'd expect something like:
> >
> >     - the repositories are cloned (recursively hardlinked/symlinked?)
> >     - the override package is added
> >     - then createrepo_c is run
>
> I haven't closely looked, but I am pretty sure it's the createrepo_c
> calls. Not that they take that long, but that there has to be one for
> every single buildroot change. ie, if I build foo in rawhide, as soon as
> it lands in the f34 tag, the ~90 f34 side tags all have to run newrepo
> tasks. Repeat many many many times a day.

We'd have to check the createrepo arguments, but according to that ^^^
most probably there's some other useful optimization used in
Koji+createrepo.  Otherwise Koji wouldn't be able to run createrepo
hundreds of times per day (subsequent, serial runs?) on such a large repo
like rawhide is.

> > In Copr we don't have to clone the repositories, but we have to run the
> > createrepo_c after each build.  In the past the bottleneck used to be
> > the createrepo_c run (recursive walk through all the packages in larger
> > repositories).
> >
> > If Koji suffers from the same problem, perhaps you could take a look at
> > the new createrepo_c option `--recycle-pkglist` - the createrepo_c costs
> > almost nothing then (matter of just reading and later writing the xml
> > metadata).
>
> That would work for the simple case of an updated package, but it
> wouldn't work for new packages added would it? I suppose we could tell
> people if they need to use a new package in their sidetag to delete and
> recreate it? Not sure how much hassle that would be.

It shouldn't matter (i think) if the package is updated, or newly added.
Createrepo needs still to be explicitly told what metadata for which concrete
RPMs must be added (--pkglist), and what removed (--exclude).

Anyway, based on the numbers above it looks like e.g. `--skip-stat --update` is
used in Koji, and the --pkglist is carefully maintained by Koji.  I guess that
--recycle-pkglist wouldn't help here.

Side note, before I was really curious why parsing and then writing of
medium sized (~20MB) repodata [1] takes about ~20s [2] with '--workers 8'
[3] (mostly no I/O).  But I forgot that the repo is compressed, so it's
about 155MB of XML metadata.  Considering that only decompression and
compression takes together ~3 seconds on my laptop, and that we still
generate the sqlite database files in Copr (I don't know the overhead of
this), it's likely there's not much space for performance optimizations.
Certainly not some low hanging fruit..

[1] https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/iucar/cran/fedora-32-x86_64/repodata/
[2] https://download.copr.fedorainfracloud.org/results/iucar/cran/fedora-32-x86_64/01839153-R-CRAN-yotover/build.log.gz
[3] https://pagure.io/copr/copr/blob/4e6881371075c37bf1eddc4b09bd7e29162c4d89/f/backend/run/copr-repo#_133-134