Re: What is the most time consuming task for you as packager?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 8:56 AM Artur Frenszek-Iwicki <suve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Less of "very time consuming" and more of "occasional annoyance": "fedpkg commit" could inspect the .spec file and ensure that every Source has a matching entry in the sources file, and that every Patch has a corresponding file in the repo. Every now and then I do a local build, it works, I commit forgetting to run "fedpkg new-sources" and then the koji build fails.

I know that I could avoid this by using "fedpkg mockbuild" instead of "fedpkg local", but still, I believe that adding extra checks to reduce the possibility of human error is a good thing.

In the same vein of waste, but of resources rather than time, when I'm updating a package I like to do a local mock build to check that upstream didn't break anything and that if there are patches that they apply cleanly.

If I haven't done a "fedpkg new-source ..." then it blindly downloads the current source from the sources file even though it is no longer referenced in the spec file. It could check to see if the sources in the spec file match what's in sources. So I end up uploading the new sources (without commiting) to work around this behavior. But what if there's a problem and I end up choosing not to build the package? The file is already uploaded...

For small packages it's not a huge deal, just an annoyance, but there are packages that the upstream sources are more than 300MB.

Thanks,
Richard