Re: What is the most time consuming task for you as packager?

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:33 PM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am looking for challenges for upcoming year - what I and my team should enhance. I have some ideas, but I want to hear
> yours.
>
> What you - as Fedora packager - find most time consuming on packaging?
> Where you will welcome more simplicity or automation?

I suppose many of us have scripts or aliases for this kind of thing
but maybe something could be integrated into the tools to make it
easier:

Review changes in the upstream sources; maybe just a diff between the
two tarballs would be sufficient. This helps one identify changes in
dependencies, potential breaking behavior, new files or features
(hello, shell completions), minor changes in licensing, and so on.

Not every upstream has a reasonable SCM one can inspect. And not every
upstream provides a changelog, or a changelog that can be trusted.