Re: heads up: nss 3.59 breaks firefox add-ons

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 12:45 AM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 17:59 -0500, Steven A. Falco wrote:

> > > You didn't answer the question whether you had restarted Firefox since
> > > installing the new nss.

I never received the above message. To answer the question, according
to my dnf history the update to nss was installed almost 24 hours ago
and by the time the bug appeared I had already shut down and restarted
my computer at least three times, firefox itself had been restarted a
few times more.

> > > Either way, probably Firefox is doing a periodic check of installed
> > > add-ons and that fails whenever it happens now. The issue is they're
> > > signed with SHA-1 certs, but nss is now not accepting SHA-1 per the
> > > current system-wide policy.

Since I did not want to reconfigure all of my add-ons, I restored a
two-day-old backup of the ~/.mozilla folder (after renaming the
existing one) and oddly, the toolbar buttons of my add-ons were
invisible. I had to disable and re-enable them to get them to appear.
Firefox containers still had to be reinstalled and I can't understand
why. The backup was from before the problematic nss update, is
something else stored outside ~/.mozilla ?