Re: Proposal: drop "Test installation media" from live media

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 10:57 AM Marius Schwarz <fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 12.12.20 um 19:47 schrieb Chris Murphy:
> >
> >> Ack.  Over the last year, none of the media tests worked proper, but any
> >> usb stick and/or CD, it failed on, worked.
> > Could you elaborate on this? I've not heard of this coming at all in
> > QA. There is a testcase for this. It's certainly expected to work.
> >

> ATM i only have one stick laying around.. let's find out if an actual
> image gets passed:
>
> - F32 1.6 Diskimage in Boxen : works
> - F33 Beta 1.3 in Boxen fails at 85.7%
> - F33 Beta 1.3 in a Surface Pro 4 fails at 4.8% (boots correctly and
> works as tested )
> - F33 1.2 in Boxen works
> - F33 1.2 in Surface Pro 4 works,  but doesn't boot on it self at anytime*

Something is writing to the media before the media checker. If any of
the file systems embedded in the install media mount read-write, the
file system is immediately modified. And now the entire stick will
fail media checks. This can happen just by plugging the stick in and
an automounter thinking it needs to mount the stick. This happens on
macOS for the HFS+ volume on the stick and GNOME Shell mounts the
large FAT partition. Poof, the media checker now fails.

> *) This was reported by me to the list, got discussed and died silently
> as a firmware bug.
>
> The F33 images boots only, when the stick gets inserted, when the device
> is in bios. It the stick is inside bevor the start , i.e. on a reboot
> into bios or a cold start, it does not boot at all. Device resets back
> into bios.  F31 boots as it should be.

That does sound like a firmware bug.

--
Chris Murphy