Re: Fedora 34 Change: GitRepos-master-to-main (Self-Contained Change)

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 15:28:57 +0000
Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm strongly against change master to main , just because master
> suggest that is a racist word as master/slave, is like change chess
> and play not with black and white pieces but maybe with green and
> blue . This change will deprecate all I.T. books since Turing machine
> and it will be just a big a mess, first because we don't have a
> unanimous name, so here it will be main, in other place will be devel
> etc etc it will be a big confusion
> And I don't see any benefit, words will always be words and their
> meaning is given by the context.

I also think this is window dressing.  Every human being alive on the
planet today has a slave (of some description) among their ancestors,
or as a relative of their ancestors. I'm curious who came up with this
as a remedy for the effects of slavery on the descendants of slaves, and
how they decided that this was a meaningful gesture.  To me it looks
like virtue signaling designed to have a minimal impact on the bottom
line.

What does a poll of programmers who encounter the word master in code
indicate about their attitudes towards it?  Especially meaningful
would be to hear from the programmers this is meant to help.

There are millions of actual slaves on the planet as I type this, and
there are even countries where slavery is still legal, and there is at
least one religion with slavery sanctified in their scriptures.  Across
the globe sex slaves are trafficked from poorer countries to richer
countries.  Is this really the best use of resources to combat that?

If it is, then we can look forward to the demonizing of words like hit,
chain, bound, bind, submit, control in code across the globe.  It's a
good thing the people implementing this are masters of their craft, and
have lots of spare time.