Pre-made live image with actual functioning persistent storage?

We're going to spend some of our remaining budget on a swag refresh, and as
part of that, we're getting some shiny new USB sticks, and partly
considering the recent discussion about making it easy for new users to try
without committing, we're getting ones with decent speed and quality and
room for a persistent overlay.

It has been approximately a decade since I made such an image. Does anyone
have a recipe for creating one with persistent storage (and possibly a
separate home filesystem, or however that should be set up on btrfs?)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>