Re: End of CentOS Linux: What about Fedora?

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 1:15 PM Ondrej Budai <obudai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> st 9. 12. 2020 v 12:35 odesílatel Jaroslav Prokop <jar.prokop@xxxxxxxx> napsal:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 09/12/2020 12:12, Christoph Karl wrote:

>> > I think Fedora now needs some kind of LTS.
>> > At least I was planning to support CentOS via EPEL as
>> > a kind of "Fedora LTS".
>>
>> If I remember correctly and not making it up there was a discussion some
>> years back about Fedora LTS.
>> I think it was dismissed because we had CentOS providing LTS stability.
>> But now it does not seem like
>> we can rely on long term stability. Maybe it's time to revive that
>> discussion?
>

> Maybe the community can use CentOS Stream as a base for some kind of LTS distro.
>

>> I am starting to get really confused on Fedora's position here. Are we
>> anywhere in the pipeline?
>

> RHEL/CentOS Stream is branched out of Fedora.
>
> RHEL and CentOS Stream have a much closer relationship. Someone put it very nicely: RHEL minor versions are branched off CentOS Stream every 6 months. It's a bit of oversimplification but it very nicely describes how tight their relationship is. On the other hand, RHEL/CentOS Stream is branched off Fedora every 3 years. There's much bigger space for a deviation between them.

Red Hat also specifically mentions Fedora ELN in their FAQ:
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates#Q8

regards,

bex

>> Are we prelude for software before it gets on CentOS streams or maybe
>> testing grounds for
>> RHEL if something got proved on the ground of CentsOS streams?

> Cheers,
>
> Ondřej

Did this email arrive after work for you?  Stop reading it and enjoy
some work/life balance.

Brian "bex" Exelbierd (he/him/his)
Community Business Owner, RHEL Product Management
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org
bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx