Re: Rawhide Repo needs downgradeable packages

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, at 12:28 PM, Martin Kolman wrote:

> With OSTree one could easily have multiple update states available (sable, cutting edge, last 3 updates, etc.)

Hi Fabio, Martin:

Thanks so much for this.  I actually had a much longer reply to Adam's mail that I'd started to write around how *exactly this* user problem with versions and downgrades is what I was talking about in
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/QEAKRLJTCNOFOCILDSLKWYHKTHVNRSUX/
And it's why in FCOS we have a unified stream of versions and images, downgrading or picking an explicit version is a first class supported operation client side too, etc.  And on top of what you both mentioned, particularly relevant for IoT and phones, it's also a 1st class operation to e.g. build custom images/ostree-commits on a separate aarch64 server for example, avoiding doing expensive operations on-device.

But then I decided it was just more useful to write code and deleted the draft.

Honestly sometimes I hit low points of energy and motivation trying to push through fundamental change against the forces of inertia.  Your replies recharged that battery.  Thank you so much for that!