Sponsorship for non-maintainers

Hi all,

I am facing a bit of a pickle and I would like to discuss this out in
the open here. Please keep and open mind while reading.

There has been an effort to open-source some of our tests that we have
in Red Hat and we decided to place them in the tests/* namespace in
Fedora dist-git[1]. Now, our team has some 10 maintainers and we own
almost 200 packages in RHEL8(way more than that in Fedora). For all
these packages we have only three people in the QE team to test them. So
here is the problem:

Let us assume, that we create a repository for each component in the
tests/* namespace. Now we need to assign access to QE member to these
repositories. It would make sense to create a group that would include
our package maintainers as well as our QE colleagues. This would help a
lot when it comes to stuff changes for instance. As discussed here[2],
the only problem here is "once a group is created, it can be given
commit access to all projects in the tests/ namespace, but also to any
project in the rpms/ namespace or the modules/ namespace and everyone
who is committing to these namespaces must be in the packager groups.
Thus the requirement for pkgdb group to require the packager
membership." But our colleagues from QE don't have sponsorship and
therefore are not in the packager group. There are those in RH who said
that they would give them sponsorship for these purposes if it is
required but I am not sure if that is the right way to do this and I
would like to discuss it here.

Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks and regards,

Michal

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/projects/tests/*

[2] https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/9490

--
Michal Ruprich
Software Engineer

Email: mruprich@xxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.cz.redhat.com
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkyňova 115, 612 00, Brno, Czech Republic