Re: Fedora 34 Change: GitRepos-master-to-main (Self-Contained Change)

On Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 11:26:18PM +0100, Petr Šabata wrote:
> Also a couple of notes on modularity here:
>
> # By default, module stream name is derived from the branch name
> If we have any "master" modules, those will get unexpectedly renamed
> as soon as they get rebuilt. This might impact tagging or updates and
> cause confusion in general. We should check if there are any like that
> and decide on further steps.

Good thing to check yes. I can try and do so.

> # Modules might be pulling components from their master branches to
> build Rawhide artifacts
> There are various use cases for this, too long to list. If the master
> ref is no longer available, these will not build. Modulemd files that
> pull components from master need to be updated after Phase 2.

Yep. +1

> # The modulemd component ref is optional and defaults to master
> Unless this got changed later, if the ref field is omitted, the value
> defaults to "master". This is part of the specification and is handled
> by libmodulemd. Not sure how to proceed here.

Can we change the default?

> And besides modularity:
>
> There are people and teams who use bots to autobuild their upstream
> projects in Rawhide. If they have a bot account (and I hope they do),
> they should be notified to update their tooling.

We don't have much tracking on bot accounts. People make them and sign
up for fas for them, etc.

We can try and find things that are obvious, but we are likely to miss
some. We can definitely help people who notice breakage tho.

kevin