Re: Fedora 34 Change: ntp replacement (Self-Contained Change)

> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
>
> The `ntp` package is replaced automatically on upgrade to Fedora 34.
> The configuration file ''/etc/ntp.conf'' is saved as to
> ''/etc/ntp.conf.rpmsave'' and it needs to be renamed to
> ''/etc/ntp.conf'' to be used by `ntpsec`. Otherwise, `ntpsec` will
> fall back to the default configuration in ''/etc/ntp.d'' using the
> ''pool.ntp.org'' servers.
>
> The `ntpd` service is disabled after the upgrade and needs to be enabled again.

That's not so nice to those users who can use NTPsec as a drop-in
replacement. For them it would be better to keep the configuration file
and have the service enabled if it was enabled before the upgrade.

Users who use some feature that NTPsec has dropped will have to adjust
their configuration either way. Everyone else should get their drop-in
replacement dropped in if possible.

What harm could it cause if the configuration file and the service were
tranparently transferred for all users? If the configuration file uses
any of the dropped features, then NTPsec should at worst refuse to run.
If it does anything worse than that, then I think that's a serious
defect that needs to be fixed.

> == User Experience ==
> For most users of `ntp` the experience is not expected to change
> significantly.

Or rather: For most users their only experience will be that their
clocks will drift until they un-rename the configuration file and
reenable the service?

Björn Persson