Re: Fedora 34 Change: Make Fedora CoreOS a Fedora Edition (System-Wide Change)

On Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 09:31:43AM +0100, David Kaufmann wrote:
> Until now I thought of both as having a very different target audience,
> I've never looked at Cloud Base, as I almost completely self-host.
> I don't really understand why it should be merged, is there some
> document or chat log for that?

Possibly, but it's not very long so I'll just summarize. The basics are:

When we came up with this split at Flock Charleston in 2013, the idea was to
focus as you say on different target audiences. We envisioned the cloud
image getting more cloud-specific, and Fedora Server getting a bunch of
features like Server Roles which people who wanted a lightweight
cloud-focused base wouldn't necessarily care for.

Over time, it's evolved so Fedora CoreOS fills the new-way-of-doing-things
container-focused world niche, but people still wanted the more-traditional
Fedora Cloud Base to build on. Meanwhile, people mostly aren't using the
Server Roles in their various attempted incarnations, and are just using it
as a base system to build their own local solutions.

So, we've ended up with two things which are basically used in the same way,
with "where it's deployed" being the main differentiator. It makes more
sense to merge them together into one thing that can be deployed in
different places.

Also, both the Cloud SIG and Server SIG have been under-staffed (with the
attention on CoreOS and ... not Server, generally). So, rather than having
two groups each with one or two struggling members, it seems better to have
a shared group with two or four less-struggling members. :)

> Same as above, I'd like to read up on that. I'm not sure what "system
> roles" relate to, I've found linux-system-roles.github.io and I know
> a big chunk of fedora-infra systems is managed using ansible.

Here's a pretty good blog post on thoughts from a few years ago:
https://sgallagh.wordpress.com/2016/10/13/fedora-server-expanding-throughout-the-galaxy/

And the System Roles project:

  https://linux-system-roles.github.io/

and docs for System Roles in RHEL, which nominally this should be the
upstream for:

  https://access.redhat.com/articles/3050101

--
Matthew Miller