Re: GitLab AMA Topic Follow Up: Namespace & Issue Tracking

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 4:40 PM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:22:25AM +0000, Aoife Moloney wrote:
> > # GitLab AMA Session Topic - Namespace & Issue Tracking
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Thanks again for your involvement in the GitLab AMA session on IRC in
> > September. This email discussion thread is on Namespace & Issue
> > Tracking. I have pulled the relevant questions and answers from the
> > original hackmd doc into one email and if you would like to discuss
> > this topic specifically, here might be a good place to do so so your
> > conversations don't go down a 'rabbit hole' :)
> >
> > Here are some links to resources as well:
> > * Questions and Answers hackmd link https://hackmd.io/RW8HahOeR7OJPON1dwuo3w
> > * Chat log from session
> > https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2020-09-10/ama_session_with_gitlab.2020-09-10-13.31.log.html
> > * AMA Blog post
> > https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/gitlab-ama-follow-up/#more-9346
> > * Here is this email in hackmd if you wish to view it there:
> > https://hackmd.io/oZrDwbSeSWO-l_X65A1ndg?view
> >
> > ## Namespace & Issue Tracking

Hello, it's me. Again :)

I can't remember, but was the question whether we can actually
recreate our current namespace setup with GitLab resolved?
I.e. is it possible to have the same top-level "rpms" / "modules" /
"tests" namespaces without creating "User groups" for them?

> Looks like a duplicated question, but the answer is the same :)
>
> > - Question: Fedora, as far as I understand, still plan on using
> > bugzilla as issue tracker. Currently default assignee and the CC are
> > gathered using the ``main admin`` (ie: the ``owner`` for GitLab iiuc),
> > the other maintainers (who did not ``unwatch issues`` in the project -
> > mechanism for them to opt-out of being in the CC list) and the people
> > having enabled ``Issue watching`` for the project (mechanism for them
> > to opt-in into being in the CC list). Would this work in a GitLab
> > world?
> >     - Answer: There are a number of options related to that.  For one,
> > users can control their notifications globally and by name space in a
> > fine grained way (see GitLab Notification Emails).
>
> This is not actually answering the question.
> We need two information for every project/package:
> - a default assignee (a single person)
> - a list of people to add on Cc
>
> Currently it is:
> - default assignee == main admin
> - Cc list ==
>   - all packagers with commit access and above who have not "unwatch" the
>     project (which is the mechanism allowing packager with commits to not be
>     included in the Cc list, this is used among others by the kernel folks)
>   - everyone who "watches issues" on a package (even if they are not packagers).
>
> From one of the previous threads, I believe the solution thought for this was
> basically: pkgdb3
> It would be our central system to integrate gitlab with every other application
> that is package related in Fedora (anitya, bugzilla, new package requests, new
> branch requests, ACL requests).
> pkgdb2 was a glorified gitolite admin UI, pkgdb3 would be a glorified gitlab
> admin UI :)

Yeah :/ I see no way to do that without implementing a "glue" service
that handles all the things GitLab cannot do for us.

Should we maybe collect a list of things / services / tasks that this
"pkgdb3" service would need to handle?
That should help us get a feeling for the scope, size and necessary
work for this kind of project ...

Fabio