Re: video meeting to discuss Matrix/Element and IRC

On Thu, 2020-11-19 at 23:37 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 21:46, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
> > On 11/19/20 12:32 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > I don't know how Matrix works exactly...
> > Then I suggest educating yourself. Go to element.io and check it out.
>
> So I did and it's not that different from IRC from an end-user
> perspective. Instead of channels, you have rooms and users can be either
> unregistered or registered, just like on IRC. Rooms can be public or only
> for registered users, same as on IRC. The only user-visible difference
> I found so far is the chat history persistence. This can be either good
> or bad, depending on your point of view. So... I don't really see the
> advantage here.

The chat history persistence - and seamless use across devices - is a
huge advantage. The other advantage is that you can sign up for and use
this system simply and entirely in a web browser, a process people are
comfortable with. It is similar to systems they may well already be
familiar with, like Slack and Discord. People are not comfortable with
setting up IRC and learning to use nickserv.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey