Re: F34, ppc64 and changing from 64k to 4k page size?

On 18/11/2020 19:18, Dan Horák wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:54:51 +0100
> Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Given the problems with the 64k page size, is it feasible to offer the
>> 4k page size as default for ppc64 users in Fedora 34?
>
> personally I haven't encountered any problems related to 64k pages on
> my Talos II system, that's used as my primary workstation. And I believe

The issues only arise in certain things

For example, the Nouveau driver: I tried it out of curiosity with an old
K2200.  I don't need it though as I'm using a Radeon card.

> if there are still some page size related issue, they should be fixed
> rather than masked. Once COPR has back ppc64le support, anyone is

Personally, I agree that fixing issues that only arise on 64k pages can
help raise code quality.  Simply adding unit tests for such issues can
also have a positive impact.

On the other hand, there are a backlog of issues on the platform and in
free software in general.  We all have to make decisions to work on some
issues ahead of others.

> welcome to offer 4k kernels there, like there are other kernel variants
> for other platforms.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Can we create installation media with a 4k page size from COPR and can
it be distributed from a trusted source for any other user?