Re: The default fs.inotify.max_user_watches limit is too low.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 10:49 AM Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 09:13:54 +0000, Gargoyle wrote:
> > I've just made the switch from Ubuntu to Fedora 33 for my main desktop
> > system. Of the few teething problems I am going through, the initial 8192
> > limit for fs.inotify.max_user_watches was probably causing the most side
> > effects. As a developer, I pretty much have netbeans open all day and am
> > forever tailing log files, so I hit this problem pretty much straight away.
> >
> > After some digging around I found a script to list the current count of
> > watchers per process. The half-dozen worst offenders were:-
> >
> >    INOTIFY
> >    WATCHER
> >     COUNT     PID     CMD
> >    4903     4620  /data/Applications/java/jdk-15/bin/java
> > -Djdk.home=/data/Applications/java/jdk-15 -classpath
> > /data/Applications/netbeans
> >     3573     3032  /usr/libexec/tracker-miner-fs-3
> >       64     2022  /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --user
> >       47     2663  /usr/libexec/gsd-xsettings
> >       27    34846  /usr/share/atom/atom --type=renderer
> > --enable-experimental-web-platform-features
> > --field-trial-handle=123480363484759119
> >       18     2812  /usr/bin/gnome-software --gapplication-service
> >
> > So netbeans + tracker-miner had pretty much consumed the entire pool within
> > an hour of starting the system.
> >
> > I've bumped the figure up to 65K by adding an entry to /etc/sysctl.conf and
> > asked on #fedora if anyone knew of the side effects of having a high number
> > - the only answers found were that approx 1K of unswapable kernel memory is
> > used per watcher. So this increase only puts an additional 57MB of such
> > memory usage onto my system.
> >
> > Are there any other side effects of this to worry about?
> >
> > If not, then perhaps the default should be significantly increased with the
> > aim of removing the problem for new users with modern desktop/laptop
> > machines which probably have 4GB+ RAM. I've not rebooted my machine
> > overnight and netbeans is now up to 13,000 watches and tracker-miner upto
> > 4,500. So in less than 24 hours I have exceeded 16K watches.
> >
> > Perhaps an new default value in the region of 32K - 64K would be more
> > appropriate?
>
> To add: Dropbox users often run into this issue, which has interesting
> side effects, like PDF readers not updating when the file is changed:
>
> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/pdf-readers-stops-doing-automatic-refresh-on-file-change/9537

This is also an issue for syncthing when inotify support is enabled
for sync'ed folders.
I had to bump that setting to "fs.inotify.max_user_watches=204800" on
my main machine because otherwise it ran out of file watches really
really quickly.
I think bumping it to 2^16 would be a good default value to make sure
most users don't bump against the really low 8K limit ...

Fabio