Re: Proposed updates to the FESCo updates policy document

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> We have been over this. If anyone could untag anything they felt like it
> would make it much more difficult for everyone to integrate their
> changes with the rest of the collection.

That issue is simply not something we have observed at any time back when
this untagging was still allowed. (And it was even possible as self-service
without involving rel-eng at all, because the Rawhide tag used to be open
before gating was introduced.) In the worst case, if some build(s) depends
on the untagged build(s), the dependent build(s) can simply be untagged as
well.

It is definitely possible to revert to a consistent state, because one such
consistent state trivially exists: the one where *all* builds built after
the untagged build get untagged as well. But the minimal set of builds to
untag is typically much smaller, if it is even larger than a singleton (a
set consisting only of the one build you want to untag to begin with). If
the untagged package is a leaf package, the set is even guaranteed to be a
singleton (but that is not even a necessary condition, only a sufficient
condition).

        Kevin Kofler