Re: yum very slow

seth vidal wrote:

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 02:40 -0400, Richard Hally wrote:

Yum seems to be very slow in resolving dependencies. I'm sitting here watching my rawhide test box take over an hour to do the dep resolution for todays updates from rawhide. This is on a box that has a 2.5ghz P4 and nothing else running on the machine. this has been occurring for at least a few weeks(or longer). What should I do to get useful information concerning this problem?

are you sure it's the dep resolution that is slow or is it slowing down when it does the header download DURING the dep resolution. I'm making that distinction b/c one is a function of code and processor and the other is a function of mirror availability and bandwidth.

-sv

here is what it says:
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
(wait an hour + )
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages..

During the wait, there is continuous disk activity. and no network activity.
This has been going on for a while (it didn't just start today)
I did a yum clean all to see if it would help but it did not.